Full-Time Employee / Remote
**Reports to: ** Vice President of Membership & International
Sustainable Brands® is the premier global community of brand innovators who are shaping the future of commerce worldwide. We seek to be the community of choice that inspires, engages and equips business leaders who see social and environmental challenges as an essential driver of brand innovation, value creation, and positive impact. We believe those brands can prosper by creating a sustainable and thriving global economy. Digitally published news articles and issues-focused conversation topics, internationally known conferences and regional events, a robust e-learning library and peer-to-peer membership groups all facilitate community learning and engagement throughout the year. Sustainable Brands is a division of Sustainable Life Media headquartered in San Francisco, CA. Joining our team offers you the opportunity to gain a first-hand awareness of what is happening at the forefront of innovation for sustainability. You'll guide and support the people who are making it happen and will help us keep our organization healthy and growing.
You are an entrepreneurial thought leader who thrives on building relationships, supporting emerging and experienced sustainability professionals, and helping them to create business value as they transform their brands.
At the core, this role is focused on providing an exceptional experience for the 70+ brands in our Corporate Member Network and more than a dozen solution providers in our fast-growing Affiliate Member Network. As these are peer-to-peer networks, your main responsibility will be understanding what challenges each member is facing as they strive to become sustainable brands, then connecting them with other members and SB resources to help them succeed. You will manage their full annual lifecycle as members from onboarding through their renewal.
You’ll manage a team who will help you track and fulfill member benefits, convene members for learning and collaboration, communicate regularly, gauge member satisfaction and publish insights. Listening to member feedback is essential. You will constantly seek it and use it to continuously improve how we support them. You also will manage the budget for member gatherings and actively work with the Vice President of Membership & International to grow the business.
You know how to succeed in the role because you are a self-starter who is organized yet adaptive, a natural consultant, a servant leader and passionate about collaborating with brands at scale to create a prosperous and regenerative future for all.
- As leader of the Member Experience, you will be responsible for fulfilling the benefits that brands and solution providers receive as Corporate Members and Affiliate Members.
- You will ensure that Members are highly satisfied and eager to promote Sustainable Brands by focusing on these elements:
- Providing a rich, engaging experience for Members throughout their annual lifecycle from onboarding through renewal.
- Bringing a consultative approach to your relationship with Members—understanding what they need/want from membership, help them leverage defined benefits to meet those needs, then go above and beyond to support them with the ‘soft benefits’ of being a member (e.g., connecting them with other members on a certain topic; spotlighting them in Member communications, meetings and the Hub; identifying opportunities to highlight their work through other Sustainable Brands platforms; etc.).
- Regularly communicating opportunities for Members to gather, take action and collaborate.
- You will lead the development and management of tools, resources and processes to provide an exceptional Member experience.
- You will deepen and broaden relationships with Members and find ways to uplevel our support of their business objectives.
- You will oversee the budget and logistics for Member-related meetings, events and outreach.
- You will manage several direct reports who will help you track and fulfill member benefits, convene members for learning and collaboration, communicate regularly, gauge member satisfaction and publish insights.
- You will work with colleagues to ensure that collaboration across different departments at Sustainable Brands is successful, and that Members' needs are being met holistically. Among other things, this includes liaising with the:
- Marketing and sales teams to support business development for Membership and the SB Brand Transformation Roadmap℠ (Roadmap)—a key benefit of Membership,
- Digital and technology teams to support Membership and Roadmap engagement online, and
- Events and Brands for Good teams to support cross-over engagements at member meetings and conferences.
What We're Looking For
Experience & Skills:
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in the areas of sustainability, environmental justice, social impact and/or CSR. Preferably, that experience was working for a brand driving change from within the business.
- Account management, consulting, marketing and/or business development experience is a plus.
- You are well-versed in the principles of sustainability, purpose-driven business and regenerative economies and have experience putting them into practice with successful results.
- You are constantly learning how innovation, leadership, inspiration, nudging and metrics can be leveraged to shift systems and behavior, and regularly share those insights with others to empower them as fellow agents of change.
- You are organized and well-adept at creating/using systems, processes and tools that enable communications to flow smoothly and operations to run efficiently.
- As a writer, your composition is warm, clear and compelling. In conversation, you are an active listener who expresses ideas thoughtfully and with empathy. As a presenter, you are polished, prepared and persuasive.
- As a builder of relationships, you appreciate people, understand what they need, help them to connect the dots and find solutions. You can even navigate a difficult situation leaving everyone involved feeling heard, respected and ready to accept the resulting decision. Additionally, you feel comfortable engaging people throughout a business, whether they work in the C-suite or on the front line.
- Experience developing and managing action-oriented working groups or stakeholder collaboration is a plus.
- You are skilled at or have the demonstrated ability to quickly self-learn workplace apps including Google Office, Gmail, Slack, Zoom, Dropbox, Salesforce (for customer relationship management), Asana (for project management), Pardot (a marketing automation platform), Salesforce Community Cloud (for online community building), etc.
- As a leader, you have demonstrated the ability to set performance objectives, inspire and motivate your employee(s) to meet or exceed them, effectively manage scenarios where underperformance was an issue, and provide coaching for professional growth and development. Preferably, you have had 2+ years of experience directly managing others.
- You are highly collaborative and, despite high-pressure situations with tight deadlines, you are able to work gracefully and productively with cross-functional teams from all backgrounds.
- You can consistently optimize within, and navigate through, ambiguity to meet objectives.
- You know how to operate effectively in a scaling, dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required. MBA or advanced degree/certification in a sustainability-related discipline is a plus.
If you are interested in this role, please send your resume
with an interesting, personal cover letter to
Be sure that the title of the role is in the subject field.