At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
More about this role: The Regional SET & Applied Sustainability Manager
The Regional SET & Applied Sustainability Manager, Nutrition & Health is responsible for driving the integration of Applied Sustainability in the regional business to strengthen product differentiation and to secure top-line growth via sustainability-related customer projects (SET). The role is located in Florham Park, NJ and disciplinarily reports directly to the VP, Nutrition & Health, also located in Florham Park. As Applied Sustainability concepts & tools are developed and guided globally, the functional reporting line is to the team lead Global SET Management & Customer Collaborations (ENS/N), located in Lampertheim, Germany. The North American Nutrition & Health business includes four segments with annual sales of about $400 Million.
Formula for Success: You Will be Responsible For…
Applied Sustainability project management (SET):
(Definition SET: broad range of qualitative & quantitative sustainability projects offered to select customers to secure top-line growth. Tools include Hot Spot Analysis, Corporate Materiality Analysis, Life-Cycle-Assessments, Eco-Efficiency-Analysis, workshops, etc. For the execution of qualitative projects service providers may be contracted; for the execution of quantitative projects, specialized in-house resources are available.)
- Developing and implementing modularized and targeted SET offers based on customer needs
- Collaborating and support Sales to drive customer-specific SET projects and achieve budgeted revenue
- Managing and contracting third-party service providers for delivery of high quality SET projects, and facilitating results delivery workshops with customers, sales and third-party service providers
- Providing close alignment with other Operating Divisions on SET projects with customers that are (potential) customers for multiple Divisions
- Filling the pipeline with budgeted new customer projects
- Integrating SET projects into customer account plans
- Providing regular reporting of regional product costs and progress on identified projects and business cases
- Close co-operation with EN’s Global Applied Sustainability for training, know-how exchange and implementation of globally aligned processes
Regional Applied Sustainability marketing:
- Rolling-out of global sustainability product positioning into the regional context and drive value positioning & differentiation in interactions with targeted customers
- Actively positioning and representing EN Applied Sustainability in industry events, conferences & trade shows
- Providing close alignment with other Operating Divisions on sustainability topics impacting multiple Divisions to ensure common messaging across BASF Group in all regions
- Elaborating & communicating customer value by linking a product’s sustainability attributes to own analysis of customer specific needs, local consumer trends and market-dynamics in specific value chains (e.g. beverage, dietary supplements, animal nutrition, etc.)
- Developing structure and processes to monitor regional sustainability market dynamics, identify and interpret business relevant market developments in order to work with regional sales and marketing to realize related business opportunities
- Providing insights from market and customer dialogues to the global sustainability marketing team in order to shape messaging and future direction
- Training Sales on sustainability product positioning to enable sales to proactively address with customers
- Integrating sustainability into regional communication (e.g. product launches, trade shows)
- Extending segment-specific sustainability knowledge to market drivers and needs
- Acting as a regional EN caretaker for sustainability topics
- Providing support/answer to the businesses on upcoming requests and customer questionnaires
- Collaborating across regions to identify synergies and increase the global value of sustainability
- Ensuring efficient and transparent collaboration with key regional and global stakeholders Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. [email protected] is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With [email protected], you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical or business discipline; MBA preferred
- 5+ years of experience in Sales and/or Marketing
- Industry experience in nutrition & health markets preferred
- Strong business and sales/marketing acumen to gain in-depth understanding of customer and industry needs to provide solutions and build relationships with key stakeholders
- Competency in qualitative sustainability tools, such as Hot Spot Analysis, Customer Surveys, and in execution of workshops
- Strong project management skills to drive sustainability initiatives and business goals, and to efficiently manage contracted third party service providers
- Customer focus and customer relationship skills to translate product differentiation into customer value
- Strong conceptual thinking and strategic view to identify and interpret business relevant sustainability market developments and deduct business opportunities
- Capability to flexibly adjust and customize communication to lead the sustainability business integration in the EN team in North America
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- English proficiency is required