Sustainability is a way of doing business that understands our company's impact on society, and the impact that social issues have on our business. Accounting for this interdependence in our operations makes us a stronger company.
AT&T is tagged in 106 stories.
Page 1 of 6.
3 months ago
- JUST Capital and Forbes today released the 2018 list of America’s Most JUST Companies, an annual ranking of the 1,000 largest publicly traded US corporations on the issues Americans care about most, including fair pay and good benefits, customer treatment and privacy, beneficial products, environmental impact, job creation, and community support in the US and abroad, as well as ethical leadership and long-term financial growth.
4 months ago
Next week Americans across the country will sit down with their friends and families to celebrate Thanksgiving. Collectively, those families will also throw away an estimated 200 million pounds of turkey during the holiday, costing us $293 million as a nation. And that’s just one day!
But most food waste comes from supermarkets, restaurants, hotels, hospitals and arenas. Inedible turkey parts such as bones, and skins as well as vegetable stalks and stems, surplus ingredients, and extra pies never make it to a pot or plate.
5 months ago
- Natural disasters are becoming a new reality for many Americans. In 2017 alone, 25 million people, or 8 percent of the U.S. population, were affected by a natural disaster — a “historic year,” according to FEMA.
More often, corporates are responding before, during and after natural disasters to serve affected employees, customers and communities. Historically, companies have responded to disasters by providing the basics of food, water, and shelter — often via cash donations to relief organizations. But in the past few years, we have seen more companies bring their competencies, products or services, and people to disaster situations in innovative ways. And they are changing the way communities across the U.S. weather and recover from disasters.
6 months ago
- The Smart Cities for All global initiative, a collaboration of G3ict and World Enabled, two nonprofits with a history of leadership in inclusive, accessible design, to launch a new project, Inclusive Innovation for Smarter Cities.
The project is convening leaders from government, industry, and disability organizations to generate new knowledge and tools that define how urban innovation ecosystems, including entrepreneurs, developers, incubators, and accelerators, can create more inclusive apps and technology solutions that impact the lives of all people in cities, including persons with disabilities and older persons.
6 months ago
- AT&T has been a champion for its’ LGBTQ employees for over 40 years! In 1975, AT&T was one of the very first American companies to prohibit discrimination against employees based on sexual orientation. In 1998 we adopted one of the very first domestic partner benefits programs for LGBTQ employees. And in 2006 we were one of the first companies to offer transgender-inclusive health care benefits.
In 2018, AT&T and The Trevor Project are working together to help ensure LGBTQ youth in crisis know they are loved and never alone. Through a multi-year $1 million contribution and a robust donation of products and services, AT&T will help Trevor expand its crisis intervention services while teaming up at a series of events to empower LGBTQ youth nationwide.
6 months ago
- Some 10,000 yards of nylon signage from this year’s AT&T Byron Nelson tournament have gone from the clubhouse to schoolhouses in Dallas and Houston.
Using a process known as “upcycling,” AT&T worked with a vendor to transform tournament signs into 1,000 student backpacks.
“This brings together several key aspects of our corporate responsibility work,” said Nicole Anderson, associate vice president-AT&T Corporate Responsibility. “Our commitment to environmentally friendly practices, employee volunteerism and our continued long-term investment in supporting students and education.”
7 months ago
- In an emergency, communication is critical to response efforts. That’s why former public safety officials and first responders on the AT&T* FirstNet team, in collaboration with Sonim, are creating Emergency Drop Kits. These portable kits will envelop first responders in a 300-foot “connected bubble,” letting them maintain constant communication to better coordinate their response.
The Emergency Drop Kits are being designed for use during emergencies in rural and remote areas, as well as areas where communications may be temporarily unavailable. Think wildfires or hurricanes.
8 months ago
- The Disability Equality Index® (DEI) is a benchmarking tool that measures a company’s performances in disability inclusion and practices in the workplace. A joint initiative between the American Association of People with Disabilities (AADP) and Disability:IN, the DEI serves as a valuable resource for companies across various industries to improve their workplace disability inclusion policies.
After self-report survey, companies are given a score between zero to 100.
This year, many of our Sustainable Brands corporate members received a score of 80 or higher:
9 months ago
- Points of Light, the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service, honors the 50 most community-minded companies in the United States each year.
The Civic 50 initiative was founded in in 2012 by the National Conference on Citizenship, Points of Light, and Bloomberg LP to provide a national benchmark for corporate citizenship and guide companies towards effective community engagement.
9 months ago
- To celebrate today’s Global Wind Day, AT&T* is expanding its renewable energy program with NextEra Energy Resources. Together, AT&T and subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources will help to deliver clean energy, create jobs, boost the local economy and support a low-carbon economy.
During a groundbreaking ceremony in Webb County, Texas for the first AT&T-backed wind farm project, AT&T announced a new agreement to purchase 300 megawatts (MW) of wind energy. It also announced a scholarship program for students interested in pursuing careers as wind turbine technicians, one of the fastest-growing jobs in the U.S.¹
Delivering renewable energy
9 months ago
- This week at Sustainable Brands’ flagship event, SB’18 Vancouver, over 2,000 attendees are sharing and exploring the many ways organizations are helping to “redesign the good life.” One aspect of the good life is cross-sector collaboration, such as brand-city-organization partnerships to build resilient communities, technologies and systems that focus on social inclusion.
9 months ago
- As part of our commitment to create a better, more environmentally sustainable world, we’ve set a goal to achieve “zero waste” at 100 AT&T facilities – including our AT&T* Global Headquarters in Dallas – by the end of 2020. Our program will start this year and will include strategies to reduce waste and increase recycling and composting, with a goal of diverting 90% or more of our waste from landfills.¹
9 months ago
- Farmers are faced with constant pricing pressures, water limitations and labor shortages, leading many to seek solutions to help them be more innovative and efficient in growing their crops. Technology and food companies alike are turning to the Internet of Things (IoT) to help.
10 months ago
- Many Sustainable Brands Corporate Members have been named in DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity. The list was created in 2001 in response to the emerging business value of diversity-management initiatives. To participate, each company must submit a form, have at least 1,000 employees, and complete NOD’s disability employment tracker. The company then receives a subsequent report card which evaluates its performance in talent pipeline, talent development, leadership accountability, and supplier diversity in comparison to competitors within the same industry.
11 months ago
- At AT&T, we know that we only succeed when all of our people can reach their full potential. That’s why we are passionately committed to ensuring our company leads on gender equality and empowering women at all levels. It’s smart business. And now that has earned us a spot on the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE) 2018 “Top 70” – the Top 70 Companies for Executive Women. It’s our 9th time making the list.
NAFE recognizes corporations and nonprofits that identify, promote, and nurture the professional growth of women. It also recognizes organizations that place women in top executive positions and empowers women throughout its ranks.
1 year ago
- AT&T will purchase 520 megawatts (MW) of wind power through 2 agreements with subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources, the world’s largest operator of renewable energy projects. Together, these deals constitute one of the largest corporate renewable energy purchases in the U.S.1 It’s also a key component of our goal to develop and leverage technology solutions that enable carbon savings 10 times the footprint of our operations by 2025.
1 year ago
- power through two agreements with subsidiaries of NextEra Energy Resources, the world’s largest operator of renewable energy projects. Together, these deals constitute one of the largest corporate renewable energy purchases in the US.
The agreement will see 220 MW of power sourced from the Minco V Wind Farm in Caddo County, Oklahoma, with the remaining 300 MW coming from a wind farm in Webb and Duval Counties in Texas. The projects are expected to generate savings equivalent to taking 350,595 passenger vehicles off the road or providing electricity for a quarter million homes in a year.
1 year ago
- WaterBit and AT&T are making automated irrigation easier for growers. WaterBit chose AT&T to provide highly secure connectivity to its autonomous irrigation solution. The smart irrigation solution helps farmers increase yield and conserve resources.
In-field data collection of soil moisture and nutrients gives farmers near real-time insight into crop conditions. Integrating data collection with WaterBit’s cloud-based software lets growers monitor and analyze soil moisture, as well as plan and control irrigation with pinpoint accuracy.
“With WaterBit, precision and science will better inform water delivery and translate into higher yields that can be sustained," said Chandler Bennett, production manager at Madison Farms - WaterBit customer.
1 year ago
- Over 100 companies spanning 24 countries and 10 sectors have joined Bloomberg’s inaugural Gender-Equality Index (GEI), a reference index measuring gender equality across internal company statistics, employee policies, external community support and engagement, and gender-conscious product offerings.
1 year ago
- Fortune has named 12 Sustainable Brands Members to its 2018 list of Worlds Most Admired Companies.
The list ranks companies based on their reputation among business leaders, and is gathered through surveys with executives across more than 50 industries. Executives are asked to name companies that they admire, both inside and outside of their industry. Companies are assessed on nine attributes, including innovation, people management, use of assets, social responsibility, management quality, financial soundness, long-term investment value, quality of products and services, and global competitiveness.