More than 2,500 General Motors team members are putting on their gloves, work boots and safety glasses and returning to Detroit’s Cody Rouge community July 24-28 for the company’s annual week-long volunteer event.
TeamGM Cares volunteers are donating time and talent at a new STEM Camp for 2nd-5th graders, helping spark curiosity in science, technology and math education. GM is partnering with the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD), the Detroit Area Pre-College Engineering Program (DAPCEP) and Michigan Science Center in the effort.
“Strong schools and neighborhoods are crucial to Detroit’s continued turnaround and the Cody Rouge community is a model to emulate,” says Heidi Magyar, director of GM Community Outreach. “Our employees are passionate and committed to working with residents to create a safer, sustainable neighborhood where families and businesses can thrive.”
As the Cody community has transformed, so has the scope of volunteer work, expanding into areas such as STEM education and workforce development.
Employees are also tackling the following:
- Painting and refreshing two murals at Dixon Elementary and Mann Elementary schools
- Building improvements, cleaning and painting at Cody High School, Dixon, Mann and Henderson elementary schools
- Bike path, trail and bridge clean-up and gardening at Rouge Park, the neighborhood jewel. Employees are also creating a non-invasive walking path through a 40-acre butterfly sanctuary and prairie
- Home rehabilitation projects, including board-ups/clean-ups and backyard landscaping
- Joy Road clean-up to enhance Cody’s primary business corridor (from Southfield to Evergreen)
In addition, staffing supplier Aerotek is hosting a job fair for Cody residents on Thursday, July 27, featuring mock interviews and coaching, resume critiquing, career advice and more. Aerotek fills job openings in engineering, skilled trades, customer service and general labor.
The Cody Rouge community, under the leadership of the Cody Rouge Community Action Alliance (CRCAA), developed a 10-year vision to transform in several key areas including neighborhood stabilization, safety and security and youth development.
Continuing to support this vision, in May, GM, The Skillman Foundation, Quicken Loans and DTE Energy teamed up with the CRCAA to announce a unique community engagement model in Cody Rouge – a private-public partnership. Businesses, non-profit, philanthropy and residents are collaborating to create a stronger, more sustainable impact. While sharing a passion for Detroit, each brings different specialties and expertise to the table. The partners will join GM in the week-long effort:
- The CRCAA and Skillman Foundation: employees and residents will support all aspects of the event, and continue serving a vital role as the link to the residents
- Quicken Loans: 200 Quicken Loans team members will participate in the STEM Camp, and an additional 200 Title Source team members are assisting in Cody High School’s clean up and restoration.
- DTE Energy: will redeploy its Mobile Customer Care Unit to answer questions from volunteers and residents regarding home energy service on vacant and occupied homes targeted for clean-up efforts throughout the week. In addition, DTE will send its company mascot “Louie the Lightning Bug” to greet children participating in the STEAM Camp and share electrical safety messages. Also this year volunteers from Herman Miller and Green Standard, GM’s partners in the rePurpose office transformation program, are renovating classrooms with furniture, equipment and supplies recycled from GM’s Global Technical Center renovation in Warren, Mich.
Other partners include SPE Detroit, PlastiVan, SAE International and OakPointe Church.
The annual Cody Rouge transformation is part of teamGM Cares, GM’s company-wide volunteerism initiative. Last year, GM and its partners revitalized four schools, three athletic fields, including an all-new soccer field, installed a 10-piece fitness circuit at Stein Park, landscape make-overs at 60 homes, and much more in the Cody community.